Der Peoplesboard Musik Thread - Was hört ihr gerade?

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

Mitarbeiter gesucht! Meldet Euch bei Interesse bei unserem Misawa

Es gibt 7.044 Antworten in diesem Thema. Der letzte Beitrag () ist von TheRaven666.

• Original von Adrian Adonis
      ... aber die Cover-Version von Johnny Cash ist wohl um Lichtjahre besser!

Nö...

Sie hat vielleicht ihren eigenen emotionalen Touch aufgrund den Umständen wie das Lied entstand und dem folgenden Tod Cashs, allerdings halte ich die NIN - Version noch immer für eine der genialsten Rockballaden der Musikgeschichte. Klar ist Cashs Version sicher auch gut, aber zu sagen es sei "um Lichtjahre besser" ist schon eine gewagte These Mr.Adonis... ;)
    • Das ist bei vielen Cash Songs so. Wenn man seine Interpretation von "Heart of Gold" oder "Father And Son" hört muss man einfach an sein hartes Leben denken und fühlt mit. Das ist auch bei Hurt nach dem Tod seiner Frau so.
      Das Original ist trotzdem besser da es die autobiographische Geschichte von Reznor erzählt, auch wenn ich glaube dass er erst nach der Spirale drogenabhängig geworden ist.
    • Hab sowas ähnliches mal irgendwo gelesen. Glaube ich aber nicht, da er jedes Mal, wenn das Publikum mitsingt oder feiert, den Song abbricht und schmollt. lol da habe ich noch eine kleine Anekdote. In Frankfurt beim Konzert letztes Jahr soll jemand gerufen haben "Sing your own songs", woraufhin Reznor den Song abbrach.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Raven ()

• Hier interessante Interviewausschnitte dazu.

Teil 1:

How did you first find out that Johnny Cash wanted to record "Hurt"?

I've been friends with Rick Rubin for quite a while, and he asked me how I would feel about Johnny Cash doing one of my songs. I thought, "Wow," because my songs have been my therapy, a vehicle for me to keep sane. I've never really thought about writing songs for other people, and I've never tried to pitch my songs to people. And that song in particular came from a pretty private, personal place. So it seemed, well, like that's my song.

Johnny Cash had always been this mysterious figure to me. My grandfather had listened to him. I'd never paid that much attention to him. But he was one of the few greats left, a real individual persona.

Rick sent me a CD of it. I listened to it, and it seemed incredibly strange and wrong to me to hear that voice with my song. I thought, "Here's this thing that I wrote in my bedroom in a moment of frailty, and now Johnny Cash is singing it." It kind of freaked me out.

Did you say any of that to Rick?

Rick asked what I thought, and I said, "You did a very tasteful job with it" -- which I did think and do think. It was a big juxtaposition for me to hear it as someone else's song now. It instantly became his song after that.

Then I heard that Mark was campaigning to do a video for it. If I had to list the people that I had the most respect for in the music business, Mark and Rick would be on that list. I saw the video and it took my breath away. Immediately my throat had a lump in it, and at that point, it really struck home. It was heartbreaking. I had goosebumps, which I have right now even thinking about it. It became really inspiring to me.

What did you find inspiring about it?

It reminded me of the power of music. Something that I made in my room, that came out of my little private backyard -- to have an icon like Johnny Cash juxtapose it into something that now, especially with the aid of that video, gives it a whole different set of scenery and a backdrop and a context to listen to it in. It works. And it probably works better than my version.

I was sad about the context with Johnny, but I felt honored to be a part of it. I spoke with Mark about this the other day, when I heard that he died. This artist deserves and demands respect from a new generation that wasn't that aware of him. It's nice that we were able to present him to a new world of fans, even though, unfortunately, it's the end of his life. The MTV exposure, even though they were cowards to not give him the awards he deserved, might open a lot of people up who weren't that aware of Johnny Cash, or of his importance. I felt honored to have been involved in that in any way, but I'm sad that it's a eulogy almost.

When you say it felt "wrong," what felt wrong about it to you?

It felt invasive. It was my child. It was like I was building a home, and someone else moved into it. When I write a song, I'm only considering myself as the one narrating it. It's my voice. So it did seem very odd at first. Also, as soon as you hear his voice, you go, "That's Johnny Cash." How fucking weird is that? Never in my wildest dreams did I think that I would write a song that Johnny Cash wanted to sing. I never thought that our paths would intersect.

How has all this affected your own relationship to "Hurt"?

I haven't listened to my version since then. I've been so proud of what they've done with it that I haven't thought that much about it. I'm over my initial shock, and I realize that's what music's all about. I've thrown some things in the pot, and now it's turned into something else. It's a pretty powerful thing.

Teil 2:

I pop the video in, and wow… Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps… Wow. I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore … It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [Somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning — different, but every bit as pure

F-U Europe *clap clap clap*
    • Ich höre mir momentan wieder einmal das Album "Stadium Arcadium" von den Red Hot Chili Peppers an, sind einige geile Stücke drauf!

EDIT: <- Ein weiterer Tenacious D Fan, der Film "Kings of Rock" ist einfach Kult und die Musik nur noch genial :D
      [SIZE=3]---> Straight Outta Blackpool. <---[/SIZE]

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Adrian Adonis ()